How To Remove Mould From The Ceiling?

How To Remove Mould From The Ceiling?

By : Sophie
Did you know that 1 in 3 Australian homes get affected by toxic mould? This is because mould grows in damp and humid conditions, and unless it is treated and removed, it will keep destroying the indoor air quality of your home.

Due to this toxic mould, you might find yourself falling sick more often or feeling tired all the time. To avoid this, it is essential to get rid of mould on your ceilings as soon as possible, either on your own or by hiring professional bond cleaners in Darwin. You should read on to find out how mould is formed on ceilings and how to remove it using natural solutions.

What Is Mould?

Mould is a fungal organism that releases spores that float in the environment. You will find over 100,000 species worldwide, but the mould that grows outside is essential to break down organic material. This sustains the natural ecosystem outside your homes.

But when mould starts growing inside your home, it can release dangerous particles, and this mould growth can affect your health.

How Is Mould Formed On Your Ceiling?

Mould grows in your home when there is a temperature difference of 7 degrees between the inside and outside. The mould spores are already present in the environment and start attaching themselves to humid and damp spots on your ceiling. Without proper ventilation and natural light, these spores will grow after 48 hours and destroy the surface’s organic material.

This will lead to green or black patches and spots over your ceilings. Even condensation from a shower or bath, appliances, drying clothes, or leaking pipes can cause damp conditions that will allow these spores to expand.

The most common types of mould that grow on your ceilings include greenish or blueish Penicillium, brownish Cladosporium, blackish with a yellow undertone Aspergillus and the dangerous black mould Stachybotrys.

How Does It Affect Your Health?

These mould patches release toxins into the air and create more dirt and dust in your home. Breathing this in can cause allergies, chronic respiratory conditions like bronchitis and asthma, lower respiratory tract problems in children, Aspergillosis, chronic rhinosinusitis and sinusitis.

It can also cause wheezing, irritation of the eyes and nose, chronic fatigue, fever, nausea, mucous and insomnia. These mould toxins can create sick-building syndrome, wherein you feel ill and unwell all the time when you are exposed to this mould.

You might even experience black mould poisoning when Stachybotrys grows on your ceiling. In extreme cases, it may also lead to memory loss or pulmonary hemorrhage, but thankfully this is rare.

How To Remove The Mould From Your Ceiling

Once the mould spores have started destroying the organic material of your ceilings, you must act fast. You can either call in expert bond cleaners in Darwin to help you get rid of the mould or do it on your own, using these natural solutions:

1. Clean Mould With White Vinegar

  • To clean the mould with vinegar, start by spraying white vinegar on the mould.
  • Remember to wear a mask and gloves so that the spores don’t enter your eyes and nose while cleaning your ceiling.
  • Now you must leave the vinegar on for 30 minutes so that it can loosen the mould spores and patches.
  • Once 30 minutes are over, you should take a soft-bristled brush or damp microfiber sponge and scrub the patches.
  • Keep dipping your brush or sponge in water to clean it so you are not spreading mould all around.
  • Once the area is clean, you should dry it with a cloth and leave the windows and doors open for ventilation.
  • 2. Clean Mould With Baking Soda

    You can also remove the mould with baking soda by first mixing half a cup of baking soda with one cup of white vinegar. Spray this mixture all over the mould and leave it for 30 minutes. Next, scrub the area with a brush or sponge and make sure all the mould comes off.

    After removing all the mould spores, you should spray the area with baking soda and vinegar and leave it to dry. This will help disinfect the area so the mould does not grow again.

    3. Clean Mould With Hydrogen Peroxide

    Another natural product quality cleaner that offers bond cleaning Darwin recommend to clean mould with is hydrogen peroxide. To do this, mix 3% hydrogen peroxide with one cup of water and spray it on the mould. Leave it for ten minutes and then scrub the mould off. You should finish by drying it with a dry microfiber cloth.

    An important thing to remember is to dry the ceilings after you remove the mould, or else it will grow back in the damp spots. You should also leave your exhaust fans on so that there is proper air circulation in your homes. Lastly, check for leaking pipes and repair them so that the mould does not grow back.

     Conclusion

    Thus, removing mould from your ceilings is essential to improve the air quality of your home and keep you safe and healthy. You should regularly inspect all the ceilings in your home and remove the mould on your own using vinegar, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide. If you are not comfortable removing the mould on your own, you can always hire professional bond cleaners in Darwin to help you do the same.